Friday, June 20, 2014

If You Can't Beat Them, Eat 'Em

The vegetable garden is planted, we get rain and
lots of it and I hurt my back so for 2 weeks the
garden went untouched.

This is what I found yesterday.
Lots of green most of the green are weeds sprouting
from our plentiful rains, the orange and black
netting is to keep my cats out of the garden.
Sigh, the cats eat rodent pests but can tear up 
a garden in seconds. 

Close up in case you couldn't see it all in the other photo!
Yeah as if you could miss all that green.
The taller plants in the front were planted on purpose
and the other rows were planted with carrots, lettuce,
green onions etc.

This garden has always had a lot of weeds in it and the 
extra rains seem to be fueling all those weed seeds
to sprout. I know I know, I should really do something
about all that. shush! I know!

Ladies Thumb, knotweed, Persicaria maculosa.
Edible, nope just a pain. Nope I am wrong, it is
edible and tender when young. I suppose since they are
all tiny I should try it?
If you do some research it is edible with
either little taste or sharp to bitter and it
does have medicinal qualities.
Link to some information.

I am not sure of the id on this one, Creeping Charlie maybe.
There aren't any flowers yet to help with the id and by
the time there are flowers we all know that
the garden is in big trouble with overgrown weeds.
If it is creeping charlie it is edible, best while
young but slightly bitter.
We are not eating this one, I am undecided on it.

This would be one of many tomatillo volunteers, I planted
it a few years ago and it just keeps coming back.
I will transplant a few to the ends of the rows and that will
be more then enough for a harvest. 
Note to self, don't let tomatillos loose in the garden
as they are like bunny rabbits. 

That big fuzzy leaf is borage, another rabbit type plant.
Plant one and it will reproduce in your garden forever and
ever and all over the place.  It isn't the leaves you care about
eating but do take care not to brush up against a mature
plant as they are pickery. Heck picking a baby plant
takes courage as they are pickery too!
The leaves can be used as medicinal but the flowers
are why we grow this. Beautiful blue or white,
the bees love them and they are the most beautiful edible
flower. Candy the flowers or put them in ice cubes,
stunning addition to your table.
Link for info. 


A bindweed, possibly edible but I don't have enough
information about it to eat it. Next to the bindweed is
my nemisis creeping buttercup with the little yellow
flower and not edible, toxic if anything.

Nasturtium was planted intentionally between the larger
flowering plants in this garden bed with the thought
that it could help smother weeds as it gets bigger and
why not!

Lambsquarter, now this one I eat. I picked a bowl full of
the tiny plants, snipped off the roots and cooked it like spinach.
I prefer it over spinach cooked, it holds together quite well,
gets none of that slimy quality when cooked.
OH! and yes it is quite delicious, if you like cooked 
spinach I think you will love this too.

Lambsquarter is a nutritional powerhouse.
Learned something new while researching, the leaves
are unwettable so with the heavy rains we get the
leaves don't get squishy/slimy/wet.
From what I've read the seeds are also edible and 
quite nutritious.
Here is a video I found on youtube from Eat The Weeds.



Here is one more weed that is getting quite large, sigh, it's 
already gone to flower. Pretty colors eh!
This is one from the Dock family, it is edible
but not one we eat. I am going to try and save the
seeds heads for a bouquet , who knows
maybe they are edible.
Dock is more a medicinal then an edible,
more info here.

The garden is full of weeds and some veggies,
it rained after I watered so when we need rain
I should water the garden?
Of all of these weeds I am only frustrated
when they are in the beds suffocating the veggies,
if they would stay in the paths and act as a mulch
I would be alright with that.

Honestly though I thoroughly enjoyed eating
the lambsquarter.

Anyone else a weed eater?





PS if you have been visiting my blog
first off thank you and while I've been
quite busy and not visiting your blog lately
I will soon, I promise.
Thank you again for stopping by.










Monday, June 16, 2014

Rainy Day Flowers

We had a spring rain, after a break in the rain
it was time for pictures!
Aside from rain we've had mild temps
and a mix of clouds and sunshine.

How is your weather?











Sunday, June 8, 2014

Visitors

 Bumbles, bees, critters,
pollinators, bugs, caterpillars and whatever
else you like to call them,
they are the visitors to our gardens.


 Tent caterpillars are everywhere. Which kind are these
exactly I've no idea and quite frankly I don't care, there are
everywhere.

Lots of bumbles in the yard.


These type are harder for me to capture, they don't hold still
for the camera. I simply call them pollinators. 





Monday, May 19, 2014

Creeping Buttercup - More Like Nasty Weed

People seem to think I am exaggerating when I complain
about creeping buttercup.
Then there are the ones that think I am just playing
around outside when I say I am pulling weeds.

Have you met this weed, or one like it?
Creeping buttercup is not your average weed,
you can't just "pull it". It is tenacious, it's roots
are deep and wide, it has grip.

It creeps above ground and underground
along with setting seeds. Don't bother rototilling,
you've just created hundreds more.
Did you miss some root when you "pulled it", you
just left a root to regrow.

Animals do not eat this, it is not an edible.


If you smother it, the underground tentacles
go looking for another place to come up.
Seeds can sprout while submerged in water or on dry land.


Between the beds.

In the berry bushes, do you see any berry bushes?!?!
Not only does it steal their space and suffocate them it
depletes the potassium from the soil.
Read more . 


This is a medium sized root ball, yes they get bigger.


The never ending tentacles reaching for another place.

Isn't this a beautiful flower, I hate the way it glistens. 

We hand dug some of the garden beds, it takes me one day
to dig out one bed from this weed and that fills up
1.5 wheelbarrow loads.
We are trying another method and that is black plastic suffocation
and hopefully frying in the sun and in some areas we used
Iron X selective weed killer.  Iron X is meant for lawns
but I am trying it on the creeping buttercup in the garden paths, 
around the berries and under a tree.

It loves water, did I mention that?
It is my nemesis.

What do you deal with in your garden?
By the way I've never dealt with a worse weed,
I've lived in other states and dealt with other
weeds but never one such as this.


I had a woman tell me it was pretty and served
a purpose and she liked it in her garden.
I never spoke to her again.